Search This Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Internet Communities

I have been part of an online gaming community now for several years. I realize I should have picked a new community, but I feel the information and friendships that I've made inside this community is worth altering the assignment a bit.

Natural Selection is a first-person shooter game developed several years ago that pits futuristic human marines against varying lifeforms of the aliens. Players can choose to play either side, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. A typical game lasts 45 minutes.

I have been playing on the same game server for the last couple years. I have come to know a majority of the regulars that play there, and as such I have become one as well. The game is very team-based, so communication is essential with your teammates. The game employs text-based communication as well as voice communication. However, annoying players spam music and other soundfiles over the microphone, making communication difficult, luckily there is an option to mute by player.

Now because I've spent a lot of time over the years playing on this same server, I've come to know certain people. I've met people from the Netherlands, Bolivia, Australia, France, and Canada. I have even met a student from Oregon State University inside this server. He and I actually knew a lot of the same people too. One of the ways to get to know people is to earn their respect and not be a moron; anyone can talk trash over the Internet. The way I have done this is to pretty much be friendly to everyone. When the server is at capacity, there is about 30 people inside; and as soon as I join, a flood of "what's up reflex?" (my game handle) hits me. I typically say hi to 5-6 people every time I join; and people literally beg me to join their team and help them win. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but its important to know that I'm really good at this game. I was in the Top 10 best players out of ten thousand players on the server. When I get on a roll, say 250 kills and only 25 deaths, non-regulars start accusing me of cheating. Without even having to say a word, the regulars will stick up for me and trash talk the kid because they know I am a legit player. That is how I know I'm accepted by this community, when one person says something, ten people hop to my defense, and I just don't even respond to the original person, I don't give them the satisfaction of acknowledgment by me.

The reason this is important is because the server has a website for forum discussion. Many things that happen in game, from trivial arguments to gameplay mechanics are discussed in detail on their forums. So whereas the actual gameplay might be the field for short, meaningless conversations, its counter-balanced by the discussions on the forums. When I bring something up on the forums, the people that have seen me play and know me after years of talking with them, the players take my words with weight because they know, that I know what I'm talking about.

So while yes it is only a gaming community, and it may not have important world implications, it still reflects the attributes of a community of people that cares and respects the people who put the time in.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to many parts of your discussion. Especially about being in an gaming community. I played counter-strike for a number of years and have experienced many of your experiences. However, being friendly is not the only way to be accepted into the community. Often times in these communities there are known 'bad guys' that taunt the other players and disagree with all discusions. Even though they are not liked by the regulars they are still just as much of the community as all the other regulars. There are times these 'bad guys'have built enough credibility and will eventually get the respect from the other members. The main way I see credibility being built is by bringing valid and respectable points to the discussion.

    ReplyDelete